Skip to main content

Back to My Roots

Happy New Year!  The past couple years, I've been especially drawn to my heritage and the values surrounding it.  Family dinners, hospitality, having a generous heart, seeking to be a peacemaker, having a passionate love for God and people....all these are rooted in my Amish Mennonite heritage.

For my husband and I, each New Year brings renewed vision, updated goals and a more clear view of the big picture.  This year includes a closer look at my contribution to society in the way of inspiring recipes, creative thoughts and not settling for good when Best is waiting.  It's easy to get caught in the doing of many good things and we wonder why we don't feel fulfilled?  Perhaps we need to look at that "Best" that is laying deep within us.  The Best is sometimes uncomfortable and will require tapping into the presence and power of a God bigger than us.  Good is always the enemy of Best.

So, what is that thing laying inside you, waiting to be opened or picked back up?  Perhaps it's something that few people have seen, but is a burning passion that has been kept hidden.  Sometimes, we need to say no to good before the Best has a chance to emerge.  In my own life, I've gotten caught many times doing many good things only to realize (slowly usually!) I've drifted from the things that I hold dearest to my heart.  You see, the good keeps us occupied and makes us feel like we're doing something positive.  Maybe it keeps us captive?

Recently, I found myself in this predicament.  Doing many good things, but feeling absolutely no fulfillment, no joy and honestly...feeling grouchy most of the time.  I simply had to step away, get a view from the top of the mountain and revisit the things deep within my heart and soul that never go away.  You know, those things that bring you joy and satisfy your soul.  The one who created us knows us well and has put part of who he is in each of us.  He created us in His image, after all.  Love who he made you to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artisan Bread

Have you heard about baking bread in your Dutch oven?  Since today was a cold, sun is shining, house is quiet and cleaned, fire in the fire place, sufficient coffee intake kind of day, I decided to put my hand to some new methods and recipes.  I don't know about you, but it helps to be creative and have fun in the kitchen when you have time to explore and enjoy the process. So, back to baking artisan bread.  You know, the bread you buy at your local bakery that is crusty on the outside, looks beautiful and tastes even better?  Trust me, I am thankful for our local bakery that always has a beautiful assortment of artisan breads when I don't have time to be in the kitchen.  How great would it be, though, if you could make your own beautiful artisan bread once in a while? As someone who loves to spend time in the kitchen, I try to have basic supplies on hand such as bread flour, all purpose flour and an assortment of salts, spices, herbs.  My trusty mixer is my "go to&quo

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 8 bone-in pork chops 2 T. finely chopped garlic 4 T. fresh chopped rosemary 4 T. fresh chopped thyme Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 4 T. Montreal seasoning Olive oil - enough to make a paste, rub consistency Combine ingredients and generously rub onto both sides of chops.  Allow to marinade in bowl, covered with plastic wrap for at least a couple hours.  Grill chops on both sides until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Spicy Apple Chutney 7 apples - diced (I didn't peel apples) 1 onion - diced 1 cup apple cider vinegar 2 T. maple syrup 2 t. grainy mustard 1/2 - 1 t. dried chile flakes sprinkling of cinnamon olive oil Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.  Add remaining ingredients and gently cook until apples are soft.