Skip to main content

Iron Skillet Frittata

Skillet Frittata
 

Do you have a favorite dish you really enjoy from a restaurant but don’t get to enjoy often?  There have been numerous times I began thinking about a specific dish that would “hit the spot” but because of distance or simply because my budget was exhausted for dining out, I do without.  Many times, this inspires me to create my own version and often these recipes end up a family and dinner party favorite.

Recently, I’ve wanted to use my cast iron skillet to try a few recipes.  The effect you get from using a cast iron skillet is different than if you’re cooking or baking in a stainless or glass pan.  In particular I enjoy the almost “grilled” effect, a bit more crisp and lots more flavor.  I was reminded of my favorite frittata from a café in Ohio.  It’s an entrée I almost always order when brunching with friends and it never leaves me disappointed.  I can taste it now - crispy crust, fresh herbs, cheese, farm fresh eggs...

 So, do you have a dish you enjoy at a restaurant far away?  Create your own version!  Or maybe your family is on a tight budget these days…snip a few fresh herbs from your garden, gather a dozen farm fresh eggs, and whip up a frittata that will make you proud.  I’ve included my recipe to get you started.  Who says you have to dine at a nice restaurant to satisfy your taste buds?  Set a table with candles and pretty dishes, invite a few friends, make freshly ground coffee and exchange life stories around the table.  The frittata will be loved by all, but more importantly you’ll have shared life with some of your favorite people.

Skillet Frittata
 
Wisk together:
12 Eggs
1 ¾ C. Half & Half
 
Add olive oil and ¼ - 1/3 c. butter to skillet and sauté the following on medium heat until tender:
Shredded potatoes
Diced Onions
Diced Peppers
Diced Ham (or meat of choice)
Fresh parsley, oregano, thyme
Coarse sea salt
*Use the proportions of vegetables that you enjoy.  Don’t be afraid to try variations of your own.  This is a basic recipe.
 
Once tender, pour whisked egg mixture into skillet.  Allow to cook on top of stove briefly (not more than 5 minutes), then put into 425 degree oven and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean (approximately 15 minutes).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artisan Bread

Have you heard about baking bread in your Dutch oven?  Since today was a cold, sun is shining, house is quiet and cleaned, fire in the fire place, sufficient coffee intake kind of day, I decided to put my hand to some new methods and recipes.  I don't know about you, but it helps to be creative and have fun in the kitchen when you have time to explore and enjoy the process. So, back to baking artisan bread.  You know, the bread you buy at your local bakery that is crusty on the outside, looks beautiful and tastes even better?  Trust me, I am thankful for our local bakery that always has a beautiful assortment of artisan breads when I don't have time to be in the kitchen.  How great would it be, though, if you could make your own beautiful artisan bread once in a while? As someone who loves to spend time in the kitchen, I try to have basic supplies on hand such as bread flour, all purpose flour and an assortment of salts, spices, herbs.  My trusty mixer is my "go to&quo

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 8 bone-in pork chops 2 T. finely chopped garlic 4 T. fresh chopped rosemary 4 T. fresh chopped thyme Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 4 T. Montreal seasoning Olive oil - enough to make a paste, rub consistency Combine ingredients and generously rub onto both sides of chops.  Allow to marinade in bowl, covered with plastic wrap for at least a couple hours.  Grill chops on both sides until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Spicy Apple Chutney 7 apples - diced (I didn't peel apples) 1 onion - diced 1 cup apple cider vinegar 2 T. maple syrup 2 t. grainy mustard 1/2 - 1 t. dried chile flakes sprinkling of cinnamon olive oil Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.  Add remaining ingredients and gently cook until apples are soft.