Skip to main content

The Unexpected Ingredient in Everyday Cooking

Evolve ||  Process  ||  Time  ||  Mistakes  ||  Lessons Learned  ||  Risk  ||  Creativity 

These words are in my thoughts as I think about my journey in the kitchen since I was a wee one.  My mother and grandmothers both taught me so much about the ways of cooking and usually were not afraid to tell me their thoughts on the proper way to prepare a dish.  In my younger years, I followed a precise recipe or verbal cooking directions from my mother.  In my early married years, I often called my mom to ask "How did you make that?"  As you get more experience under your belt, your confidence rises and you begin experimenting outside the realms of the way it's always been done.  Call me a rebel, but there's something freeing about not following a rule or recipe or expectation just because that's what you should do.  We are, after-all, created uniquely with not one of us being the same. So it would make sense that it's built into our DNA to want to venture outside the parameters of man-made rules.

You're probably wondering what all this has to do with everyday cooking essentials?  An essential to enjoying everyday cooking is to feel the freedom to wander outside the written rules and try new things!  This can be applied to everyday life. Most of the time, there is more than one way to do something.  Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the solid foundation I was given in the kitchen at a very young age and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  It's ok, to venture outside and take risks. It's ok to fail, these are lessons money can't buy.  Time and experience are great teachers.

When I began to write this blog I thought it would be all about literal everyday cooking essentials.    As it turns out, the freedom to wander outside the rules is the unexpected ingredient.
A variety of sea salt, peppercorns, olive oil, spices

Some of you may laugh at me, but when our family travels anywhere from the country hills of Ohio to the mountains of North Carolina, my red basket is packed with kitchen essentials I can't do without.  Included in the basket is anything from tools and basic ingredients to fresh herbs from my garden.  These are also the things I use on a daily basis when cooking for my family and friends.

Have fun and don't forget the unexpected ingredient.  It is, in fact, the most important ingredient of all.

EVERYDAY COOKING ESSENTIALS:
(This is simply a very basic list, watch for my blog coming up that will include a variety of cooking and baking essentials.)

Peppercorns & Pepper Mill  ||  Fine & Extra Coarse Sea Salt  ||  Extra Virgin Olive Oil  ||  Chefs Knife for chopping  ||  Paring Knife  ||  Cutting Board  ||  Fresh Herbs ||  Fresh Peeled Garlic  ||  Spices & Dried Herbs  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artisan Bread

Have you heard about baking bread in your Dutch oven?  Since today was a cold, sun is shining, house is quiet and cleaned, fire in the fire place, sufficient coffee intake kind of day, I decided to put my hand to some new methods and recipes.  I don't know about you, but it helps to be creative and have fun in the kitchen when you have time to explore and enjoy the process. So, back to baking artisan bread.  You know, the bread you buy at your local bakery that is crusty on the outside, looks beautiful and tastes even better?  Trust me, I am thankful for our local bakery that always has a beautiful assortment of artisan breads when I don't have time to be in the kitchen.  How great would it be, though, if you could make your own beautiful artisan bread once in a while? As someone who loves to spend time in the kitchen, I try to have basic supplies on hand such as bread flour, all purpose flour and an assortment of salts, spices, herbs.  My trusty mixer is my "go to&quo

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney

Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 8 bone-in pork chops 2 T. finely chopped garlic 4 T. fresh chopped rosemary 4 T. fresh chopped thyme Fresh Herb Grilled Chops w/Spicy Apple Chutney 4 T. Montreal seasoning Olive oil - enough to make a paste, rub consistency Combine ingredients and generously rub onto both sides of chops.  Allow to marinade in bowl, covered with plastic wrap for at least a couple hours.  Grill chops on both sides until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Spicy Apple Chutney 7 apples - diced (I didn't peel apples) 1 onion - diced 1 cup apple cider vinegar 2 T. maple syrup 2 t. grainy mustard 1/2 - 1 t. dried chile flakes sprinkling of cinnamon olive oil Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.  Add remaining ingredients and gently cook until apples are soft.